Monday, September 27, 2010

September 11, 2010: Arlington National Cemetery

On the 9 year anniversary of September 11, 2001, Jess, Lupe, Fanny, Molly and I made a trip up to Arlington National Cemetery to show our respect.  Although the crowd was larger than usual, it didn't feel crowded or stressful.  There is something about the landscape, and knowing that you are surrounded by so many honorable figures that creates a very peaceful atmosphere.  It brought back memories from July 2010 when my family made a trip to Normandie, France and spent part of our day at the American Cemetery.  In France, I remember walking by myself through the tombstones of fallen American soldiers that seemed to go on for miles.  The same feelings and emotions came back at Arlington, and there were moments during the day where it almost felt sacrilegious to even speak.  We were privileged enough to witness the 4:00 changing of the guards at the Tomb of the Unknown Solider.  Throughout the rest of the day, we saw John F Kennedy's tombstone, and the Arlington Pentagon Memorial.  We had to walk for almost 45 minutes across the cemetery to reach the Pentagon Memorial, but I believe it worth the wait.  It was in this surrounding area where all of the newest tombstones were placed.  Most of the tombstones we saw indicated that the souls resting had either been victims of the terrorist attacks of September 11th, or had passed away in Iraq or Afghanistan.  My friend who currently attends Norwich University pointed out that a graduate from her military university actually laid in the ground of Arlington.  I could tell this was an emotional day for her too, considering how many fellow students she became friends with who ended up overseas.  On top of that, her father was one of the brave souls who nearly risked his life, volunteering as a firefighter at Ground Zero.  It seems like everyone I meet either has a family member or friend serving overseas.  I, myself have family members and friends who have been in the Middle East, or who are in the stages of preparing to fight in Afghanistan. Standing on the grounds of Arlington as the sun began to set, I remember standing in silence looking around and seeing purple hearts on the tombstones as far as I could see. Of course I will always support the men and women fighting for our country, but for God's sake, what have we gotten ourselves into? 


"Say a prayer for peace
For every fallen son
Set our spirits free
Let us lay down our guns
Sweet mother Mary we're so tired
But we can't come home 'til the last shot's fired"  








1 comment:

  1. Very nice. Yes, what have we gotten ourselves into-that is the question.
    Stop killing may be a good place to start.
    I very much enjoy your writing---looking forward to Egypt and Jordan...

    ReplyDelete